Healing In Nature

Healing In Nature
There Is A Season For Everything

Saturday, August 13, 2011

CHALENGES OF CHANGE August 12, 2011

Mid August brings us cool mornings and mist swirling out of the wetlands
out in the back of our propriety. 

Going from the high 90's down now into the 70 is giving Wisconsin a feel of what is to come in a few short weeks.  Seems the long lazy hot days of summer have become a thing of the past.  School is right around the corner.  My grand kids are coming next week for their last tea party and outside games.  We started this quit a few years ago so the cousins could spend time with gramma and their other cousins. We have craft time, tea time and then outside races and games.  They dress up in costumes left over from my last two daughters growing up days that are stuffed away in plastic bins.  Boys protest  but finely consent with the promise they can enjoy the treats later.


Christie dressed like a frontier girl and Jon in a graduation costume race neck to neck with fresh eggs in a spoon. 
Brett disguised in a sailor suit originally from world war 2 made over by his great grandmother and given to my daughters for Halloween costume.  Stephanie in a dance costume from one of my daughters dance recitals when she was little.They too struggled to keep the eggs in the spoons but managed to drop a couple.  I can still remember the giggles and the eggs being stepped on at the next race of wheelbarrow. 


Gosh, I can remember doing this when I was a kid.  Summer was so full of fun!

Being young at heart, not a worry in the world.  Children are our treasures in this troublesome world.  To live like a child in innocence, and wonder!  They say laughter is the best medicine and being a grandma has kept me young at heart.  My world becomes brighter, my mind sharper and my heart warmer watching the antics of my grand kids.



Victorian Gaxing Globes from Baker's Lawn Ornament 570 Berlin Plank Road, Somerset, Pa. 15501
I bought this many years ago because I heard how exquisite the glass was and the colors are outstanding. 
In the above picture you can see my reflection in it taking the picture.  It reflects what ever is blooming around it. 

Our minds are like a reflection ball......the pictures we remember of our past reflect what we went through.  What we pull into our memory is almost like living it again.  As I experience joy, love, tender moments I tuck them away in my memory to be pulled out later like this picture of the reflection ball.  All I have to do is think about a happy thought and it is there being relived, enjoyed, enveloping me with that joy, love and tenderness.  With the world news, pouring disasters onto our somewhat quiet life our tendency is to think about it.  Trouble ourselves about what could happen, is happening but a world away.  I do what I can and then reflect back to a warmer memory that fills my world with light, not troubled waters.  Even with all the tragedy in my own life this past year, I do what I can, remind myself over and over, "This is only temporary"  Pull up memories that bring me to the present happenings,  good things that release peace in my soul, not stress in my body.  A trick of the mind.  Filling it with another thought.  Quite a while ago they showed hands surrounding that plane that landed on the river out by New York.  I do that too, think of our great Creator's hands surrounding my world.  Bringing me peace again and a stillness of my soul so I can enjoy the present.


Luke Skywalker 10 months now, spending time with me in the computer - sewing room. 
Dick put the grate in front of my files because Luke likes to rip off labels and chew on them.
Luke has put such laughter and joy into my life.  He is typically the naughty boy puppy sometimes,
but most times he he just a big lovable Airedale that fills my day with surprises and smiles. 


Just like that foggy picture in the beginning, the seasons are changing but I can still fill the decadence of the time back to the bright blue sky with simply a reflection.  (pictures help too "_" )

View of our land out back of our property
Another joy is my collection of books.  A few weeks ago I got my new quilt book called:  quilting those Flirty '30's by Cynthia Tomaszewski.  Quilting Those Flirty '30s [Book] ah such fun, such color, and such an imagination beyond my own old brain.  But with this new book that gives me step by step instructions I can create what Cynthia has designed for us to buy.  I got mine through amazon.
I also got a new sewing machine a Viking Sapphire 835 which I bought at Sew and Sew a delightful quilt store.  They give me new owner lessons too so I can use all the computerized instructions.  I was there last week and the teacher was so patient with me, so talented in getting all that diffcult information into this old brain.  Now I am ready to zip out some new items and try new things in the cold rainy days ahead.  I love hand sewing and quilting but this is so much fun I just might put the hand stuff away for a while.

Picture of new birdhouse by my new camera the
Canon EOS Rebel Tdi EOS 600D
Now this is the biggest challenge on my mind.  I have spent the past two months playing with it and taking pictures.  It has so many automatic contraptions on it that I probably could spend a life time just using them but I really want to explore all the different settings and views I can.  I read on one of the blogs that the books Digital Photography by Scott Kelby and sent for that from amazon also and Scott Kelby really does make it easy to look up things and settings.

 I can see this long winter ahead is going to be a very challenging one with all these new changes in my life.  Change is very good for us, weather it is a painful one or a surprise filled one it brings fresh air into our lives and gives us a new perspective......
             ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wish I could remember where the below picture came from on the Internet.  Maybe someone out there can give that information for me.....................




thinking of you all
blessings.....

Kate


1 comment:

  1. Hi Kate - thanks for your comments about my post on potholders. Your grandchildren look delightful - and what a wonderful garden you have! Lots of hard work but also so much enjoyment!

    ReplyDelete